Sunday, May 31, 2009

Well, the Leno era...

...of The Tonight Show is over. I watched Jay Leno's final show on Friday. It was his usual mix of snappy monologue (his best thing) and so-so interviewing (never his strong point), with the bonuses of a James Taylor performance and the Best of Jaywalking. I enjoyed watching him pass the torch to Conan O'Brien, who begins hosting tomorrow night. The best part of the show was the very end, when Jay introduced the 68 kids born to staff members during his run. That was sweet...it's amazing how much time has passed and all the things that have changed in the world. My nephew was only three months old when Leno started hosting. I was a junior in college. Time flies!

It's not really goodbye, though- he will have his nightly prime time show in the fall, and he'll take along his Headline and Jaywalking segments.

I look forward to the Conan era of The Tonight Show! I so rarely got to stay up late to watch him. It will be nice to have him on at a reasonable hour (when I'm not watching David Letterman).

No comments: