Sunday, May 24, 2009

Television history.

I love you tube. I keep finding great stuff. Someone has uncut coverage from NBC, CBS, and ABC of the Kennedy assassination. There's probably 30+ hours of footage! I've seen a lot of the CBS coverage- famous for Walter Cronkite choking back tears as he announces Kennedy's death- but it's very interesting to see the other networks.

It is absolutely fascinating to watch the newsmen scramble to get facts straight and the obvious trouble in getting linked up with Dallas affiliates. In this day of instant, 24-7 cable news coverage of any event, viewers forget how hard it was to get information across in "the old days".

When I say uncut, I'm not kidding. The CBS footage has parts of an episode of As the World Turns and commercials, and ABC has a rerun of Father Knows Best. It's hard to imagine being a housewife back then, watching her favorite soap opera only to have it be interrupted by this tragic news.

Here's a link to the NBC playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C6063006ECBAA337

I've found similar uncut news footage from September 11, 2001 and the Challenger disaster of 1986.

No comments: