Wednesday, April 29, 2009

All the Small Things, episode five.

From tv.com: Edgar, Binsey's brother, dies and this comes as a shock to all his friends. However, there is an even bigger bombshell coming up. Esther and Jake find themselves thrown together again when Binsey asks for their help in achieving Edgar's rather unusual final request. Jake decides to be honest with Esther, both about his past and his feelings for her.

That was so sad. Finally, the Tonkses get to be more than bad guys. Poor Ethel. I loved her scene with Jake in the church. And poor Binsey. But that whole thing would have been more effective if we'd met the brother earlier...The funeral and Edgar's send-off were a hoot, though. A choral version of "Nothing Compares 2 U?" In church? Sweet. I loved the choir singing "Love Hurts" by the fire!

I knew Jake was an alcoholic! :( That was so brave of him, bringing Esther to his AA meeting. Bad Esther, for being so cold to him after he 'fesses up. He's been sober for six years, for crying out loud! Line that annoyed me- "There is no us." Stupid Esther. Like you haven't been flirting with Jake all along. Seducing him with "shit-hot" cranberry muffins! Tsk, tsk. I loved the kiss (and her smile after leaving him)...but was stunned that Esther treated him so badly.

So Layla is Jake's sister. Well, I knew that from the spoilers, but it still wasn't that big of a bombshell. The picture of the two of them that she hides from Michael was so cute! They must of have been close at one point.

Michael/Layla- ugh. Layla tries to work her charms on the boys, but is rather insensitive to Kyle. Michael starts to see what he's missing. If that means Esther takes him back next week I WILL BARF AND THROW THINGS!

Worried about next week- what is Layla going to do to Jake? What did he do in his past that could cause so much trouble? (Obviously something to do with Father Daniel). Some sister she is. No wonder Jake tries to stay away from her.

I honestly don't care which choir wins the competition. I'd love to see Michael get humiliated, but Esther's winning would be so clichéd. And there had better not be a "happy family reunion" (another cliché that is annoying). One episode to tie everything up? Not possible. And I want to see Esther and Jake together!

I'll miss this show. I hope it gets a second series, but it's a bit doubtful.

A couple of screencaps I did:

Thoughtful Jake- thinking about Esther's muffins, or Esther naked?

Photobucket

The kiss!

Photobucket

Jake and his guitar. Bit of a Brothers of the Head flashback for Bryan Dick! (Yes, he really plays. I still can't understand why he doesn't get to sing on this show- he's good!)

Photobucket

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, about burning those DVDs... (The YouTube quality is like watching old Godzilla movies;the sink is way off.)

Anyway, I am sincere about remuniration.

KM said...

I'll get a DVD done as soon as I get the last episode. Probably Wednesday or Thursday.

It will be on DVD for Region 2. It's actually very easy to hack any DVD player to play all regions. My own player is fixed so I can play any DVD from anywhere in the world. I probably won't buy it, though, there are no extras. :(

Yeah, youtube quality sucks, but for those of us not brave enough to use torrents, it's the only way to see the shows!