Thursday, April 23, 2009

Small Things, episode 4.

From t.v.com: Olive and Jimmy come closer thanks to the shared plot of surreptitiously entering Esther's choir into a competition. Esther's singing in the competition makes Jake hint he has feelings for her, but she believes Layla is trying to ruin her budding liaison. Georgia is unhappy when she overhears her father and his girlfriend talking about having a new baby.

I think this was the best one yet. I loved the song Esther's group did for the competition- What's My Age Again? by Blink-182 (Esther's son Kyle is a Blink fanatic, and picked the song). The Layla/Michael relationship takes a scary turn...Michael is beginning to see he's made a mistake, and daughter Georgia puts both of them down. Layla and Jake's relationship is still murky, but clearly there is something bad connecting both of them.

Olive and her biker friends save the day when Layla tries to keep the choir from making it to the heats. So cute! Phoebe gets the solo and steals the show a bit. The rehearsal was funny- "This bitch or that bitch?"

Best scene in my humble opinion- Esther and Michael's conversation of the glow he just now noticed...that she probably had all along but he was too dumb to notice.

So Layla had her own business and has money to burn, apparently. And Jake used to be a pro snowboarder! Very interesting...

Cute couples/possible couples abound in this episode- Olive/Jimmy, Kyle/Grace, and Jake/Esther. Esther starts to notice that Jake has feelings for her, and she seems stunned.

Great lines in this too:

Jake: "So what's your idea of heaven?" Esther: "I'll give it some thought and get back to you."

Jake to Layla: "I will always love you, but I will never forgive you." Ouch. I've seen the spoilers for the final two episodes, so I know what their true relationship is- but the way this scene was set up it could be either ex-lovers or estranged siblings.

Ah, my One True Pairing for this show...Esther and Jake. He sure likes her muffins. *snerk*


Linky to the choir singing What's My Age Again. It's hilarious. I just love Phoebe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qg1Rl9Z61c&feature=player_embedded

I took her out it was a Friday night
I wore cologne to get the feeling right
We started making out and she took off my pants
But then I turned on the TV

And that's about the time that she walked away from me
Nobody likes you when you're 23
And are still more amused by TV shows
What the hell is ADD?
My friends say I should act my age
What's my age again?

The series will be available on DVD in the UK only on May 6.

No comments: