Thursday, October 16, 2008

A scary British short film...

Shockers: Parents' Night. It aired on Channel 4 in 2001. A friend of mine at live journal sent me a link (gone now), so I watched it. It's a very sad, well acted short about a bullied teen who documents his torture at the hands of his classmates, and his suicide, on his video camera. His mother sees the tape, and takes the gun to the school's parents' night.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0300476/

It's horribly depressing. The end is a bit over the top (I assume it's supposed to be like a horror film!), but the viewer is drawn into the mother's grief and rage.

Shockers was a series of small films, but I've never heard of any of the others.

I was interested in the film because of one of the young stars, Bryan Dick. This is an early appearance of his, and he is chilling as the lead bully. I'd love to see more of his early stuff.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kira,

I think Bryan Dick is one of the most versatile actors working, today. Unfortunately, a lot of his work that I'd love to see is on British format, like White Teeth and Twenty Thousand Streets under the Sky. I'd also love to see He Kills Coppers. Any advice as to how to get these in American format DVD?

Seerahn

KM said...

Twenty Thousand is only available on Region 2 DVD...I have a multi region player, so I did get a copy. As far as I know, White Teeth and He Kills Coppers aren't available yet. :(

What I really want to see is Sold...but it isn't on DVD in the UK even!

KM said...

I found a link for Sold...but you have to register to get the downloads.

http://www.headsupguide.com/