Monday, October 27, 2008

An old review...

I found my brief review of Twenty Thousand Streets Under the Sky. It was in a locked live journal entry, so I'll just re-post it here:

February 12, 2006

Boy, did I love Twenty Thousand Streets Under the Sky. It was sooooo good.

All three parts of the story were wonderful. The acting was so good. It just seems to me that young British actors are better than young American actors. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Bryan Dick. He really deserves a huge career. The fact that he's pretty damn good-looking should help a bit!

The story was so sad. Depressing, really. All that unrequited love, disappointments in life...and yet there's still some hope for the characters (well, except maybe for Jenny, the prostitute Bob loves). I just loved the atmosphere. Beautifully done all around.

An addition to my review- Sally Hawkins (as Ella) is pretty damned awesome, too. I'm still kicking myself for missing Persuasion on PBS last year.

Someone put the film up at youtube in several parts- it hasn't been taken down yet. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljcEOeN9DZg

It's very good, but the book is even better. I think it's available in the U.S. again (it's been out of print for decades)- the author is Patrick Hamilton.

imdb.com entry:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0446057/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Patrick Hamilton was an amazing writer. (I actually used him for one of the workshops I teach.) In fact, that’s how I came to hear about Bryan Dick.

Too bad the YouTube quality isn’t better on Twenty Thousand Streets under the Sky, but I’ll take what I can get.

Aren’t British actors amazing? I would really prefer to live in the U.K. Great artists, writers…

KM said...

Yeah, I'm an Anglophile myself! Most of my ancestors were English and Welsh, with a bit of Scottish thrown in.

I first heard of Bryan from Master and Commander...and I've been keeping an eye on his career ever since. I keep hoping he'll get a big break.