Sunday, July 27, 2008

Wow!

I mentioned the HBO movie Countdown to Looking Glass in this post on my movie blog last year:
http://kiramovies.blogspot.com/2007/10/nuke-your-neighbor-wwiii-film-sampler.html

I complained that it wasn't available on DVD, because I wanted to see it again. Fortunately for me, a kind soul has posted it at Google Video!

Since it was a made for cable movie, I thought my discussion belonged here instead of the other blog.

As I watch it again, I realize that it actually scared me more than The Day After did (but not as much as Threads). Part of it was the fact that the film's scenarios were very realistic, both then and likely now. I was only about 12 when it first aired on HBO, but I watched the news and had a pretty good idea about what was going on in the world.

The fake newscasts were realistic. The use of a ticking clock over title cards saying "Day One", "Day Two", etc., was a nice touch. And the final scene of the Emergency Broadcast System/Emergency Action Notification activation is chilling.

No comments: